25 July 2013

Unorganized Militia Guidon

I've posted several times over the years on the topic of "militia"[1] and I recently stumbled across a post on militia uniform patches that has inspired me to create a generic "Unorganized Militia Guidon".


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

With regard to the elements: The crossed musket and sabre is a common insignia amongst State Militias/Defense Forces, but I've only seen them on websites selling embroidered collar insignia or at very low resolutions in raster format. As stated in a previous post, I am an untalented "tracer" so I found some usable pictures of both infantry (for the musket) and cavalry (for the sabre) officer brass to trace in Inkscape. The picture of the infantry brass was a little low quality, so I found a couple decent resolution pictures of a 1795 Springfield rifle (here and here) to trace. The result is a fairly proportional pairing. I looked up the dimensions (20"x27", 10" swallow tail) with a  of a U.S. Army guidon on Wikipedia and set that as my page size in Inkscape. The actual reg covering guidons is here.

All you crazy right-wing militia nuts out there interested in using my "work": as indicated above, I am licensing it under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Given there is nothing unique or special about this, that is only fair. Anyone with a bit of graphics ability could easily recreate this in a very short period of time. Unfortunately, I am unable to load up the master SVG file here, so if you want it, you will need to email me to request it.

For those of you who are thinking "This emblem is Great! I sure wish I could get a shirt or something with it...", feat not! I have a CafePress store with many items. Click here to be taken to it. 

~~~

[1] Links:

No comments: